DIY_EFI Digest V4 #449

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Aug 4 19:45:46 GMT 1999

> Wiring said that I was headed for a big problem.  The speed sensor in the
> Sub runs the speedometer and something to do with the brakes.  He said the

Does your Suburban have rear anti-lock brakes?  If so, you will lose
this feature if you rewire the truck, and depending on your preference,
this may or may not be an issue (I hate antilock on trucks, cars its
cool).

> this work.  I called Edelbrock and they do not sell this chip separately,
> only with the full EFI set up.

This is how they make their money, I imagine - selling complete,
integrated systems.

> The Edelbrock system was a possibility until; 1) the tech said that his
> system is not big enough to feed the 400 SBC I have ready to go in the

Okay, you have a 400cid SBC, and TPI stuff of what?  A 305 or 350?  You
should be able to use a 350ECM and be in the ballpark to get things
started, and up the injector size one size to get the right flow - the
GM systems are somewhat adaptive and with the MAP will "learn" your
engine to some degree.  Others here can correct me if they think I'm way
off base...

Longer runners on the TPI system are good for low/mid RPM towing...
about 4k or less, above that, they tend to choke the engine, unless you
port them as well as the intake (or replace with Accel runners, either
way).

> Some where in the box with the TPI stuff is a harness adapter that is
> suppose to convert the TBI injector harness to an eight injector harness for
> the TPI.

Another option, which you may or may not like, is this.  What did you
take the 90 TPI setup from?  You might be able to get that harness if
its out of a junkyard car, and go through the agrevation of merging
harnesses.  I've done this a few times, and its not impossible, or
really that bad.  Hope you can determine wire color better than I can
::grin::, but its doable, and a LOT cheaper than a painless wiring
setup, as good as painless is.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology