TBI to TPI

David Sagers dls2867 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 19:22:24 GMT 1999

Shannen

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate your help as it sounds like you
really know your stuff on this subject.  In fact, you are way over my head!
Mind if I ask a few questions.

As you suggested, I looked at the archives a searched for DRAC, found about
5 messages and the most useful is:

Formula to find divide ratio when using General Motors  DRAC speed sensor
and changing gear ratios, tire sizes, and etc.

Input Ratio=63360/RC*XR*P/128000

63360= #of inches in a mile
RC= tire circumference in inches
XR= axle ratio
P= # of speed sensor output pulses per output shaft revolution.  The 700R4
with VSS (not speedo cable) is 40 pulse/rev.

128,000 pulses per mile is DRAC output to RWAL module in fullsize pickup
application.

Rolling circumference is preferred method of obtaining tire circumference.
Mark line on tire and corresponding line on floor.  Roll vehicle back until
tire makes complete revolution.  Mark
2nd line on floor and measure distance between 2 lines.  This is actual
rolling tire circumference.

(Circumference=(Pi)(Diameter) for estimating purposes.)

Look up input ratio on chart to find proper jumper settings.

Notes:
DRAC is designed to use AC input signal.
73.8" rolling circumference and 3.73 axle ratio yeild 1.00 divide ratio.
747 ECM receives 1.11hz/mph signal

Sounds like I need to try to reprogram the signal to the ECM?  This might be
more than I have enough experience to pull off.  So I'm facing two routes.

1 - Don't try to reporgram the DRAC signal to the ECM.  What happens if I if
I just follow the instructions for the aftermarket harness?  Basically the
instructions for the VSS say there are two wires for the VSS.  If you
connect them correctly the speedo will work.  If the speedo doesn't work
then the wires are connected backwards.  Will I lose the ABS function of the
rear brakes?  Will I lose the ABS for the front brakes?  Any other features
on the truck I'll lose?

2 - Dig into the DRAC and try to figure out the programming.  In order to
change this do I need to use a chip programmer?  What I'm saying is that I
read and re-read your message and can't quite figure out how to pull off the
change.  Any help in explaining would be very much appreciated!!