TPI into a 86 4x4 Suburban PART 2 Long

David C. Allen davida at primenet.com
Sat Aug 7 14:06:15 GMT 1999

First I would  like to thank everyone for the information they provided on
the change to TPI fuel injection for our 1986 Chevy Suburban 4x4.

I have purchased a 1990 suburban fuel tank, sending unit and some of the
fuel lines. I understand  that I must change the fuel pump, to a higher
pressure pump, like one from a Camaro with TPI. So my first question is
there a good place on the web to purchase the fuel pump, the local chevy
dealer wants about $100 for a new AC Delco pump and new input filter.

Second is there a better pump to use??

Third question, I would like to install the tank and lines as the first
phase of the conversion, but I want to run the stock mechanical engine
driven pump. Do you guys think there would be a problem sucking the fuel
through the un-powered in-tank pump.

Fourth Question:
Chevy uses a o-ring, Saginaw flare to connect the high pressure fuel lines,
and I was wondering if anyone knows who or where one can get steel tubing
flared.
Power steering hoses use this type of flare.

    |   |
  _|   |_
[_    _]     Saginaw flare
   |__|       O-ring side

I am going to use 89 Corvette 350 engine fuel lines, because the suburban
chassis fuel lines are on the passenger side. Chevy Corvette part #
10052171 and 10052172.

GM just discontinued the 10052172 part so I was going to bend the steel
tubing and wanted it to look stock so I need to flare the ends. Anyone know
where to locate used corvette parts, like fuel lines.

Fifth Question
Passenger side fuel lines presents a problem with the TPI fuel rail,
because most TPI fuel rails are for F body cars and the TPI  fuel lines
enter from the Drivers side. So I need to find a corvette or "Accel" right
side TPI fuel rail because the fuel lines enter from the passenger side..
Any suggestions on where to find a fuel rail.

Again if this is not the proper forum please let me know

Thanks

David