valves/retainers/keepers, all done thanks!!

Ross Corrigan zxv at istar.ca
Sun Aug 29 05:42:53 GMT 1999

--=====================_50589521==_.ALT

> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 05:52:27 EDT
> From: EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
> Subject: Re: DIY_EFI Digest V4 #491...valve keeper probs
>
> Hi Ross,
>         First of all, forget about the gently bit....even stock retainers are
>
> chrome moly on a chev.....take a decent sized  steel hammer and WHACK the
> corner(edge) of the retainer (repeated if neccessay) do this without the
> spring compressor on it and even without the air in the cylinder....you will
> here a difference in tone when the keepers "break loose" from the
> retainer....this is very common of stamped steel keepers(especially the heat
> treated ones) and if you plan on running high rpm alot, spend the $35.00's
> and get machined keepers.......as for your shims wearing through......at high
>
> rpm any spring that has a damper will wear through the shim.....you must use
> heat treated shims to avoid this....most machine shops don't carry them, but
> can order them.....if you have trouble I have plenty....hth's
> - -Carl Summers

Well thanks a mint Carl.  I'd polled all my other chevy lists and friends and
you 'hit it on the retainer' this time:-)  I got a new set of hardened keepers
today and R&R'd all my valve spring shims and the keepers.  Used my normal
carpentry hammer in the diagonal blow mentioned above.  What a tip on
'listening' to the sound.  The stuck retainer has a hollow tinny sound (like
rotten concrete) and the good unstuck ones is just a dull thud (like good
concrete if you've ever rehabbed).  So carefully whack it (avoiding my
wires/hoses strut tower braces in the area) till you hear the tinny sound go
away and then you're homefree.  Turned out many more shims were sheared through
and several partially and all oil seals were fine (but some lifted d/2 sheared
shims interfering, that'd be my extra blowby on startup lately I'd bet).  I
won't go on anymore as this is an EFI list but thanks so much.  Those $25
keepers were the cheapest part....$200 car rental...

thanks again, back to your normal enjoyable EFI list

Ross Corrigan  /  Vancouver, Canada

 '80 327ZX   IZCC#255, Edmonton Z-car Club #44, British Columbia ZCR
Life's a journey, not a destination.. Enjoy the pitstops and maximize the
straights

mailto:zxv at istar.ca     *New ICQ # 11549358
http://home.iSTAR.ca/~zxv/index.shtml
http://207.212.212.139/~corrigan/gearheads/pics/wheels/sirbg.jpg    where a Z
belongs
--=====================_50589521==_.ALT

From: EFISYSTEMS at aol.com<br>
Subject: Re: DIY_EFI Digest V4 #491...valve keeper probs<br>
Hi Ross,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; First of all, forget about the
gently bit....even stock retainers are <br>
chrome moly on a chev.....take a decent sized&nbsp; steel hammer and
WHACK the <br>
corner(edge) of the retainer (repeated if neccessay) do this without the
spring compressor on it and even without the air in the cylinder....you
will <br>
here a difference in tone when the keepers &quot;break loose&quot; from
the <br>
retainer....this is very common of stamped steel keepers(especially the
heat <br>
treated ones) and if you plan on running high rpm alot, spend the
$35.00's <br>
and get machined keepers.......as for your shims wearing through......at
high <br>
rpm any spring that has a damper will wear through the shim.....you must
use <br>
heat treated shims to avoid this....most machine shops don't carry them,
but <br>
can order them.....if you have trouble I have plenty....hth's<br>
- -Carl Summers</blockquote><br>
Well thanks a mint Carl.&nbsp; I'd polled all my other chevy lists and
friends and you 'hit it on the retainer' this time:-)&nbsp; I got a new
set of hardened keepers today and R&amp;R'd all my valve spring shims and
the keepers.&nbsp; Used my normal carpentry hammer in the diagonal blow
mentioned above.&nbsp; What a tip on 'listening' to the sound.&nbsp; The
stuck retainer has a hollow tinny sound (like rotten concrete) and the
good unstuck ones is just a dull thud (like good concrete if you've ever
rehabbed).&nbsp; So carefully whack it (avoiding my wires/hoses strut
tower braces in the area) till you hear the tinny sound go away and then
you're homefree.&nbsp; Turned out many more shims were sheared through
and several partially and all oil seals were fine (but some lifted d/2
sheared shims interfering, that'd be my extra blowby on startup lately
I'd bet).&nbsp; I won't go on anymore as this is an EFI list but thanks
so much.&nbsp; Those $25 keepers were the cheapest part....$200 car
rental...<br>
thanks again, back to your normal enjoyable EFI list<br>
British Columbia ZCR&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </div>
maximize the straights</div>
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
*New ICQ # 11549358</div>
 EUDORA=3DAUTOURL>http://home.iSTAR.ca/~zxv/index.shtml</a></div>