KLUTCH!!!

Andris askulte at emerald.tufts.edu
Thu Dec 2 15:09:20 GMT 1999

> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 01:50:53 EST
> From: A70Duster at aol.com
> Subject: KLUTCH!!!
> Could one use an AC clutch to engage and disengage the impeller.  At idle and
> cruise, the impeller doesn't turn, but for gettin' giggy, fire up the
> "blower" and blow past the NIGHT RIDER!!!!!
>
> Can an AC clutch "hold together" when attached to a blower???

Granted, it would be a cool gizmo, and all, but I really don't think
you'll gain anything by it. At the lower rpms and cruise, the blower isn't
really working too hard, so your parasitic losses would be quite small. If
you still want to do it, I doubt the AC clutch would hold. Making a WAG,
I'd say the AC compressor might take max 20hp to turn (guessing since my
timeslips are .2sec and 2mph slower w/ the AC). At full boost, I've heard
that superchargers take 75+hp to spin. You would need something a bit
stronger. A small puck/disc-style clutch (like in the drivetrain) should
hold. Maybe something from a racing bike? Anyways, I've rambled enough,
and don't think you'll see much gain.

Andris Skulte
Z28tt - 89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo