AC Klutch

Carter Shore clshore at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 23:09:10 GMT 1999

The horsepower is not so important as the torque that
the clutch is rated for. The typical A/C units do not
suffer clamping force degradation like typical the
driveline diaphragm clutches. There is also the matter
of the inital start torque. A/C units must be able to
endure a large startup torque, because there can be a
substantial residual gas pressure in the compressor.
A centrifugal supercharger on the otherhand, probably
has very low initial torque requirements. You might
need to use some kind of 'check valve' or flapper
system in the intake tract.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 10:09:18 -0500 (EST)
> From: Andris <askulte at emerald.tufts.edu>
> Subject: Re:KLUTCH!!!
>
> > Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 01:50:53 EST
> > From: A70Duster at aol.com
> > Subject: KLUTCH!!!
> > Could one use an AC clutch to engage and disengage
> the impeller.  At idle and
> > cruise, the impeller doesn't turn, but for gettin'
> giggy, fire up the
> > "blower" and blow past the NIGHT RIDER!!!!!
> >
> > Can an AC clutch "hold together" when attached to
> a blower???
>
> Granted, it would be a cool gizmo, and all, but I
> really don't think
> you'll gain anything by it. At the lower rpms and
> cruise, the blower isn't
> really working too hard, so your parasitic losses
> would be quite small. If
> you still want to do it, I doubt the AC clutch would
> hold. Making a WAG,
> I'd say the AC compressor might take max 20hp to
> turn (guessing since my
> timeslips are .2sec and 2mph slower w/ the AC). At
> full boost, I've heard

=== message truncated ===