Getting facts straight! (1/3)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Mon Dec 6 14:02:47 GMT 1999

#$%^&*() I hate digest mode. Sorry about the 2/2 coming through but the 1/2
being too big. Tried it first without dividing! #$%^&. the $#%^& list
doesn't tell you when you post something too big, either!! $%^&

Greg

><< Most engines need 15 to 20% more fuel than stoich to
> make peak power and 10% less to make peak efficiency. >>
>
>and
>
><<at 12.8 and second 7000 rpm has a max pw of 7.57ms.>>
>
>Three helpful tidbits and a bunch of complaining.  If you need to unsubscribe
>then

The flames are unnecessary and unproductive! Not needed if we would have a
quasi-professional environment on this list! The facts are in the
neighborhood, but not necessarily accurate, either!

>Hi Phil,
>
>I found Scotts comments quite good!

He was at least in the ball park.

>>And just a hint to John. The limiting factor is your first choice of
>>max pw
>>at 12.8 and second 7000 rpm has a max pw of 7.57ms.
>

>I'm not sure that I understand what you mean about limiting factor but an
>engine
>cycle is 720 degrees and therefore, at 7000RPM,  with an 80% duty cycle the max
>pw is 13.7ms.

Correct numbers.

By limiting my pulse width to less than 75% I just needed
>slightly larger injectors.  By using Lucas injectors, with a shorter open time,
>I can use a short pulse width at idle and still keep the engine ticking over
>smoothly.

NOTE that, while what you have said is true, the Lucas injectors also give
much poorer quality atomization of the fuel (than the presumed Bosch
alternative). Poor atomization of the fuel has another entire set of
disadvantages!

(continued)

Greg