virtual closed loop dwell regulation

Robert Sandor sandorr at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 11:48:22 GMT 1999

I am working out an idea to fire sparks of a 4cyl. carburetted engine in
right time without use of lookup tables or a knock detection nor ionization
current measurement.The only input to the regulator will be the RPM. The
RPM-dwell lookup table itself is not enough, because the  temperature of the
air and fuel varies. The knock detection and the ionisation current
measurement are expensive methods. I hope a cheap method "virtual closed
loop dwell regulation" will work. The main idea is to advance-retard dwell
until maximal RPM is measured at fixed throttle position(Is this a fuzzy
logic). I want to use separate coil for each cylinder. At very low RPM (like
starting the engine) even multiple sparks could be applied. I also want to
drive switching transistor without a MC3334 or alike IC. If the battery
voltage and the inductivity of the coils are nearly constant, why to use an
intelligent ignition driver IC? What do You think is this a good idea?

Robert Sandor