Airflow Measurement

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 15 03:07:50 GMT 1999

At 05:00 14/12/99 -0500, DIY_EFI Digest wrote:

>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:38:40 -0600
>From: pcs74 <pcs74 at swbell.net>
>Subject: Airflow Measurement
>
>Hello,
>
>Can someone tell me why cylinder heads, intakes, throttlebodys, etc. etc.
>airflow numbers are quoted in CFM? Would it be better if they were given in
>lbs/min? Why or why not? I understand why compressors are rated this way
>just not why other engine componets are not.
>
>Thanks             Chris Skarzenski       pcs74 at swbell.net

Don't think it really matters as long as everbody uses the same units for
comparison purposes. Also air changes density so a lb of air changes it's
phisical dimentions. However a Cubic foot of air will always be a cubic
foot of air.

Whether this is a good thing of not I don't know :-) It probably stems from
some acient ritural that us brits came up with :-)

Ade