Horsepower verse Torque

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 21 13:54:44 GMT 1999

At 05:00 AM 12/21/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can someone post or email me the calculation to convert ft/lbs at a given RPM
>into Horsepower - or the other way around.
>
>And for the engine guru's,  if the Throttle Body used for an engine is
>downsized
>will the Peak Torque developed by the engine increase or move to a higher RPM
>with a corresponding loss of maximum Horsepower at redline?  After
>all,  smaller
>venturis are used in carburetors for the lower RPM settings,  I thought to
>keep
>the engine torque up by keeping the velocity of the airflow up.

With a carburetor, the venturis are used for proper fuel/air
metering...  They are small so that low throttle driveability is good and
the fuel is atomized well.  With EFI, there is no fuel metered by the TB,
so you want to use a TB that flows what your engine needs without
restriction at Wide open throttle.  A smaller TB will have the effect of
driving at part throttle when you mash it...
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!