Horsepower verse Torque

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 22 16:30:18 GMT 1999

At 05:00 21/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:23:39 -0800
>From: "John Dammeyer" <johnd at autoartisans.com>
>Subject: Horsepower verse Torque
>
>Hi,
>
>Can someone post or email me the calculation to convert ft/lbs at a given RPM
>into Horsepower - or the other way around.

(BHP*5252)/rpm=torque

>And for the engine guru's,  if the Throttle Body used for an engine is
downsized
>will the Peak Torque developed by the engine increase or move to a higher RPM
>with a corresponding loss of maximum Horsepower at redline?  After all,
smaller
>venturis are used in carburetors for the lower RPM settings,  I thought to
keep
>the engine torque up by keeping the velocity of the airflow up.

With carb I think the down sizing is to increase the gas speed through the
carb to increase the efficiency of the carb (not the engine). I am an SU
person (Variable venturi, constant gas speed). I think that with Injection
as long the gas speed is high enough to stop the fuel dropping out of the
air then bigger is better. If the induction system is long enough and not
too big then you will get some raming effect due to gas momentum at certain
RPMs...

Interesting to see what other people say...

Ade