Variable advance for ignition

Daniel Yap flor1 at mailcity.com
Fri Dec 24 03:03:51 GMT 1999

hi, anyone got any success on increasing the advance for ignition electronically? Theres no vacuum or static advance on the engine, everything is triggered electronically by a variable reluctance sensor. I know that one way is to mount the sensor on a slider and shift it but the engine belongs to the school and they discourage hacking away at the engine. I looked around and think that a all pass opamp or phase shift opamp might solve the problem. The diy_efi archives did mention something, Tommy Palm did do something like this but his details were a bit sketchy.
I was thinking of delaying the signal 350 degrees which would make it 10 degrees advanced. The main problem is that the phase shift opamp would delay from 0 to 180 over a frequency range. I tot of having two together but it would give a variation of delay as the engine goes from 500rpm to 5000rpm. Any way of having a static advance introduced electronically?
Thanks and Merry Xmas
Daniel Yap

LYCOShop is now open. On your mark, get set, SHOP!!!
http://shop.lycos.com/