DIY_EFI Digest V4 #714

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 29 19:13:53 GMT 1999

At 15:00 23/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:57:34 -0800
>From: "John Dammeyer" <johnd at autoartisans.com>
>Subject: Re: Horsepower verse Torque
>
>Hi All,
>
>Wow!   What a response.  Thanks all for input on HP and the venturi thing.
 Let
>me give you some background on what prompted all this.
>
>My clients client has delivered a twn engine Hovercraft to a customer in
Italy.
>Because Fuel injection wasn't completely debugged yet and delivery had to be
>made my client substituted a couple of SUs scavenged from a Jaguar; one per
>engine.  We shipped the fuel injection controller but used it only for
ignition
>and tach drive.

Ah.... SUs!!! I like SUs... I am into minis BTW... Std fitment from 1959 to
1995 when they went to TBi. Cannot see what this has to do with Venturis
(SP?) though, SUs have a variable venturi...

>Now the fans used on these Hovercraft are pitched so that they load down the
>engine and don't turn much faster than the torque peak of the engine;
about 5200
>RPM.  What's really interesting is due to, we think,  improper air flow,  one
>engine top RPM is always about 400 RPM lower than the other.  They've swapped
>engines from side to side and it doesn't make a difference so we've
determined

So are you saying that they swapped the engines across but the difference
went with the engine? or stayed with the fan?

It is wierd and I am interested to know what happens....

Ade