SV: fuel pumps/reservoirs

Gustaf Ulander gustaf.ulander at bercoproduktion.se
Mon Feb 1 14:19:35 GMT 1999

Hi all!

Long time no post...

----------
> Från: Mike Pilkenton <mpilkent at ptw.com>
>
> Well I'm deep into my engine conversion project and need to install an
> electric fuel pump for the EFI engine (3.1L V6).  Question is do I have
> put the fuel pump back in the tank or can I install the pump up by the
> engine.  I know I need the high pressure type made for FI engines and not
> the carb (low pressure).  Mounting anaftermarket in-line pump up by the
> engine sure would be more convenient.  Any advice would be appreciated.

I had a similar problem when converting my Capri (
http://www.look.at/Ford_Capri , BlackMagicCapri ) to Bosch K-jetronic.

Did as some described here, a small reservoir (0,7 liters) in the engine
compartment, fed by the standard mech. fuel pump. Low pressure (LP) in near
the bottom, outlet to the high pressure (HP) pump at the bottom. Return
line from K-jet at near the top, LP return to the gas tank at the top.

Seemed to work Ok except for a hesitation accelerating out of lefthanders
at the track. Probably because the mech fuel pump couldn't keep up.

Since I am about to redesign the reservoir to this season, I'd be
interested in any input on the design.

Regards

Gustaf Ulander, Sweden