Different Strokes

David Sagers dsagers at ci.west-valley.ut.us
Mon Feb 1 15:56:27 GMT 1999

James thanks.  Max RPM = 7000, but only in a serious race.  The car is mostly for fun and as a hotrod to build and admire.  Most of the driving will be on warm summer afternoons.

David Sagers wrote:

> The builder said that a short stroke engine will respond better to a turbo as it'll rev faster.  So I'm looking for someone with knowledge and experience with turbo engines.   Do I go with the shorter stoke that'll rev faster, or go with the 4" stroke that makes a lot of torque, especially in the low RPM ranges.  Low RPM torque seems to be important as this is going to be a street engine generally run in the lower RPM ranges.

I've thought about a twin turbo Poncho 400 ;^)  How high do you need to rev to get full boost?  The smaller stroke responding better would make sense.  With enough boost, you could get plenty of torque and good hp.  How high are you going to rev this engine?

James Ballenger