fusible link questions

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Mon Feb 1 19:08:51 GMT 1999

James Weiler wrote:

> gents,
>
> Can somebody tell me why fusible links are all the rage now rather
> than a fuse?  Is there some niffty piece of info on these things that I'm
> missing?

Fusible links are designed to take a brief overloads without failing.
They're great for things like fan motors, which have high initial
current draw.  According to a service bulletin, fuses can blow because
of expansion/contraction of the element due to quick high loads.  I'm
not making this up, they called it thermal fatigue.  And fuses need a
fuse holder and extra wiring. (Co$t)

> Secondly, how do you convert fusible link guage to Amps?  i.e. 20 GA
> fusible link will blow at what amperage?
I don't know that, but a fusible link should be 2 AWG sizes smaller
than the wire it's attached to.  10 ga wire should have 14 ga fusible
link. Length should be kept to a minimum.
Shannen