TC's and manual trans (was: Re: Smooth strategy)

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Tue Feb 2 17:20:37 GMT 1999

I am defining a torque converter as a device that multiplies torque.  If
there are only 2 elements, where does the torque multiplication come from?
If one element is attached to the engine and the second element is attached
to the transmission, there is no way the second element can have more torque
than the first.  This two element thing you are describing may be a very
nice device and it may have been called a torque converter but it cannot
multiply torque.  For that, you need a reaction member.

I never took auto mechanics in high school.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>