OBD II LT1 Engine Swap Gotchas???

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Feb 3 13:22:40 GMT 1999

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Shannen Durphey wrote:

> David A. Cooley wrote:
> >
> > At 02:37 PM 2/2/99 -0800, you wrote:
> > >I've been quiet on this list for a while. I swapped a 93 LT1 into my early
> > >Corvette, and thanks to this list and others, have enjoyed that swap and am
> > >about to do a similar swap into a 69 Camaro with a 97 Z28 motor that I
> > couldn't
> > >pass up.
> > >
> > >I know some of the high horsepower guys I know have swapped from OBD II to OBD
> > >I PCMs due to difficulties of squeezing 600 HP out of an OBD II controlled
> > >motor. For a stock, smog exempt OBD II swap, are there any pitfalls that I
> > >should look out for? Anyone else on the list already done such a swap?
> >
> > You may want to go Pre-OBD_I as well...
> > All of the OBD_I PCM's from GM I have seen on V8's have a pre and post cat
> > O2 sensor...  Pre OBD_I didn't.
> >

> Pre OBD_I?  But that would mean using an ECM that's pre 1988.

I think he means before pre-ODB-II which would be 93 or so.  I don't
thing anyone really has had any problems with the 94/95 f-body PCM's
in this area.   To the originaly person doing the swap, there is
1-2 on this list working on the disassembly of a 94/95 f-body PCM
and if you know assembly the person would probably be glad for any
help.

One problem with going with an earlier ecm, is if you have the tranny
with the engine then there may be a problem, as the tranny is
electronically controlled and the electronic control was not done in
the computer before 94.

On the 93 ECM I have alot of the critical info already figured out.  I
have parts of the fuel system figured out, all of the TCC system is
figured out.

				Roger