TC's and manual trans (was: Re: Smooth strategy)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Feb 4 00:06:11 GMT 1999

>Greg Hermann wrote:
>

>> No way--a two element torque converter is a violation of Newton's laws!!
>>
>> Regards, Greg
>Then what do you call a 3 element fluid coupling? The torque multiplier
>in the early hydramatic did not make it a torque converter - it was
>still a fluid coupling because it had tangential vanes. This was used
>on  some Pontiac Hydros.
>The curved vanes of the torque converter reroute the oil to the backside
>of the pump instead of the front side - thereby increasing torque. The
>addition of the stator in a torque converter is much more effective than
>a multiplier in a fluid coupling for this reason.
>Don't believe me - go get a good automotive mechanics text book -
>preferably from the era when fluid couplings were not ancient history
>and check it out.
>
>An old fossil who's actually seen, driven, and worked on them.

And how many legs does a cow have if you call it's tail a leg??

Correct answer is either one or five, depending on the level of abstraction!!

Very simply, there is no way to put more torque in to an output shaft whan
what comes into the input shaft unless some part of the "contraption" puts
a reaction torque into the case. PERIOD.

"Every action must have an equal and opposite reaction."

Not even Einstein altered that one!!

Regards, Greg