fusible link questions

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 23:43:07 GMT 1999

In a message dated 99-02-04 16:50:15 EST, pford at qnx.com writes:

>>   Also -- An alternator is not designed so that its diodes limit its output
>> current. The stator does that.
>
>I think I said that the regulator limits current ( buts it's been a long
>day) ( the mechanical regulators had an overcurrent cutoff)

Mechanical regulators for generators had current limiting and voltage relays.
Mechanical and electronic regulators for alternators have voltage limiting
only.

Batteries used in a old generator system seemed to last forever while the same
type/brand battery would have a limited life in a alternator system.  Lead
acid automotive batteries like a short/high current discharge and a long/ low
current recharge.  The current limiting a generator provides helps battery
life.

A alternator is current limited by the size of the stator windings and , to a
lesser extent, the size of the rotor ( field ) windings.

Harold