DIY_EFI Digest V4 #85

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Fri Feb 5 03:47:58 GMT 1999

On Thu, 04 Feb 1999 19:47:21 -0800 heinld theo <theobald at ozemail.com.au>
writes:
>Re: TC's and manual trans (was: Re: Smooth strategy)
>

>>>No way--a two element torque converter is a violation of Newton's
laws!!>>

>>>Regards, Greg>>
>
>Greg
>I don't know much about Newton's laws however I have been under cars for
>the last 45 years, working mostly on auto trans. so I know a little bit
>about torque converters. To get torque multiplication in a 2 element TC
>you need curved vanes plus a  different number of blades (vanes) in the
>turbine and impeller. There was usually a split guide ring (doughnut) as
>well. While this arrangement is not as effective as a TC with a stator
>it nevertheless multiplies torque and is therfore correctly termed a
>Torque converter.
>
>Theo from downunder

I have to side with Greg on this one.  There is no way to get torque
multiplication without some part of the torque converter being held still
in relation with the rest of the system.  In the classic "doughnut" TC
that is commonly used, the stationary part is the vanes.  What is held
stationary on the two-element torque converter?

Ray Drouillard