PulseWidthModulation comments

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Fri Feb 5 03:48:11 GMT 1999

A common theme here is that people keep forgetting about the freewheeling
diode.  With a freewheeling diode, the current continues to flow (due to
the inductance) when the <transister, SCR, FET, whatever> is switched
off.  The inductive reactance doesn't inhibit the performance of the
motor.  In fact, it helps to smooth out the current.

If the frequency and inductance are high enough, the current will not
drop very quickly when the transister is turned off.  Also, it won't rise
very quickly when the transister is turned back on.  The motor will see a
DC current with a very small AC component.

A switching regulater (like the one used in this computer) works the same
way.  It consists of a switching transister, a freewheeling diode, an
inducter, and a feedback circuit.  The goal, in this case, is to get the
AC component (ripple) as small as possible.

+ supply ---<switch>--------<motor(inducter)>-----|
                        |                         |
                        |                         |
                        |---------|<|-------------|
                           freewheeling diode     |

                                                -----
                                                 ---
                                                  -

When the switch is off, the current in the incuctor will want to keep
flowing.  This forward-biases the freewheeling diode (rather than
creating a really nasty inductive "kick").  Current continues to flow
through the diode until it decays, or the switch is switched back on.

That way, the current through the motor, rahter than being chopped from 0
to maximum, actually only changes a fraction of a percent to a few
percent - depending on the inductance and frequency.

Ray Drouillard