fusible link questions

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Feb 5 14:11:39 GMT 1999

>On Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:29:48 -0500 "David A. Cooley"
><n5xmt at bellsouth.net> writes:
>>At 05:56 PM 2/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>>
>>>OK--so who's gonna be the first to suggest building a device to limit
>the
>>>charging rate of the battery (and to correct charging voltage (to the
>>>battery only) for battery temperature, while we're at it??
>>
>>Chrysler!
>>
>>On my 95 neon there was a battery temp sensor and the PCM controlled the
>>alternator.
>>Charging voltage varied with temp.
>
>The alternater in my '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer senses the ambient
>temperature and adjusts the voltage accordingly.  I'm not sure when Jeep
>started using that design.
>
>I believe that the newer batteries are more tolerant of high charging
>current.  That may be why the electronic regulaters don't bother limiting
>output current.  I suspect that the main reason is that the accessories
>in a modern car draw so much current.
>
>Ray

I was thinking more in terms of regulating the alternator to , say, a
steady 15 volts, and then cutting that down to whatever is ideal for the
battery in terms of voltage and current, based on temp, etc., for charging
it. Course, it would also be nice to have a device to step the battery
output back up, at least to critical devices, such as the ecu and
injectors, for those times when the alternator does not make a high enough
voltage for your chosen bus voltage.

Again--dunno if I did not say it clearly, or if nobody was listening carefully.

Regards, Greg