fusible link questions

KD6JDJ at aol.com KD6JDJ at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 05:53:06 GMT 1999

You can buy a box that hooks up to the alternator on most cars that
> provides 110VAC for running power tools remotely, while still charging the
> battery.

  I really dont think that this is ever true.

  It Would be VERY difficult to simultaneously produce 110 VAC and 14 VDC from
one alternator. I think that it has never been done with a box hooked up to an
alternator.
  It would be simple to generate 110 vac from an automotive alternator, but it
would be 3 phase.(unless you found one of the few single phase alternators (
French for instance) .
  It is very easy to make 110VDC with a conventional automotive alternator.
(the BOX for instance)       { The BOX disconnects the alternator output from
the 12 VDC battery and connects the field (rotor) to the batterys 12 VDC} .
With the BOX in the 110 VDC position , the output terminal (which is now
disconnecred from the battery) will go to a higher voltage as the RPM is
increased. If the RPM exceeds some limit , the alternator's VDC will destroy
the alternator's diodes , so be careful not to overrev the engine.

  Some companies have wound special stators that fit into Delco alternators so
as to make both welding voltage and 110 VDC.  I am sure that you could , at
home, mahe a very interesting electrical unit from an automotive alternator by
winding a special stator. But , it may likely be impractical when you consider
the vast number of other sources of project materials are available these
days.

  This information is presented here to (hopefully) put some reality into the
thoughts about the use of common automotive alternators. I sure dont want to
get into any discussions about when the above information may not necessarily
be true.

    Jerry