Digital: fuel pressure gage; boost gage

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Sun Feb 7 07:46:13 GMT 1999

At 05:00 PM 2/6/99 -0600, Clarence Wood wrote:

> Is it possible to use the pressure sensing device in a digital scale to
> build such things as an electronic fuel pressure gage, or an electronic
> boost gage, or a boost control?

My guess is that a scale uses a strain gauge of some sort. To use it
as a pressure sensor you'd have to have some kind of A/B diaphragm
arrangement. Can be done, but ick.

If you want to measure *air* pressure you have lots of choices. Grab
yer Digikey catalog and look up "pressure sensors". Or my own personal
faves, Motorola's MPX line, which are oodles cheaper. If you need
to measure water/fuel/oil pressure, Digikey is still yer buddy, they
have stainless steel units in pipe thread packages. Think oil pressure
sender, I guess. I could use one of these as my fuel pressure sensor,
but I'm an effin' cheap bastard and they're like $80-$200 depending.
The Motorola air-only units are like ~$15, the new automotive
specialty ones that Tom mentioned are, uhh, did anyone see a part
number or a price? I'm desperate tho, and Moto likes me so I'll
try to call Monday and bum a few offa them.

   Hope this helps,
   Chris C.