New guy

steve ravet steve.ravet at arm.com
Tue Feb 9 04:25:11 GMT 1999

"Howard, Randolph E" wrote:

> Hi,
> In case you thought you were the dumbest guy on the list when it came to EFI, I am here to save you :)  I am building a Lotus Seven replica and intend to use a Toyota 4A-GE, 20 valve, if I can find a good one.  I had one lined up last week but passed on it because it did not include an AFM.  I have been told that isn't
Don't know much about Toyota AFMs, but that seems like a small point if
it was a good deal otherwise.  Surely that AFM is available in junkyards
or at the dealer? I wouldn't try to adapt another unless you know for
sure it works and for some reason you can't get another stock one.

>such a big deal and that another AFM off a different motor probably could be made to work.  Does this sound like a reasonable approach or should I steer clear of the hassle and continue looking for a complete set-up?  Also, another guy said that racers in his country are able to replace the factory ECU with an aftermarket one and run without an AFM.  What!?  Is this what a MAP system does?  Obviously I
MAP does away with the need for a flow meter, although it means "hard
coding" your volumetric efficiency in a table.  A worthwile tradeoff
according to what a lot of people here say.  There are plenty of
aftermarket systems available but they all seem pretty pricey.  Nothing
like sticking with factory stuff if you have the time to make it work.

have a bit to learn here so please be patient.  Maybe someone can
recommend some good primer reading to help me get on board.  Thanks.

Start with the DIY_EFI archives, you can get there from the main diy_efi
page, efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/diy_efi.  Also check out the reference
list, lots of good books listed.

welcome aboard, have fun.

--steve

--