L-Jetronic peculiarity

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Tue Feb 9 04:54:00 GMT 1999

Mike Morrin wrote:

> At 07:55 pm 08/02/99 -0500, Bruce Plecan wrote:
> >
> >Anyone happen to have any data about how often, duty cycle, etc, on this
> >injector firing strategy?.

> Don't have experience with the actual Bosch (or Toyota) units, but the
> Lucas units used on Jags (more or less Bosch-under-licence) fire the
> injectors every 360 engine degrees.  The V12s do this in 2 banks, with an
> 02 sensor per bank.  In this case one bank of injectors is fired every 3
> sparks, not sure if the 6 cylinder units are in 2 banks or 1.
>
> It seems to have the disadvantage that the injectors are fired twice as
> often as needed, halving the pulse width, which cannot improve metering
> accuracy at idle.
>
> Mike
Toyota- with NipponDenso manufactured version of Bosh L Jet uses all
injectors tied together on many of the diagrams I have from 1983 on. "79
to '82 they were (2) batched - 2 sets of 3. The '86 to '88 cressida are
(2)batched, as is the '88 Land Cruiser, and all MR2s to '88.The pickup
and 4-runner in '85 to '88 aretied together, except for the turbo, which
is (2)batched. The '88 v6 p'up and 4 runner are (2)batched. 83 to '86
supra are (2) batched. The '86 1/2 to '88 Supra is fired  in 3 pairs, or
(3) batched . Interstingly, the Subaru MPFI (also an L Jet) batch fires
2 at a time on the non turbo, and separately in 1985 and '86. These are
SPFI units in name - and sure look to be. They are also, technically
Bosch L Jets.. Look at the diagram for Nissan, and virtually all have
each injector separately wired.

Which just goes to show ya they are not all the same, by any stretch of
the imagination. Some are batch, some multi-batch, some individual, and
some even sequential, yet all are L-Jetronic.