CPS for mini

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Tue Feb 9 07:07:43 GMT 1999

Tom Parker wrote:

> > With an already somewhat unsafe maximum of 8000 rpm, I don't want to tempt
> > >>

> >Ummm......  did you ever think about making a blow sheild??
>
> >Bill (don't wanna yell OUCH!) K
>
> Thought about it, but haven't yet. I try and avoid spinning it up that far!
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what to make it out of? I've seen one made of a sheet
> of quite thin stainless steel.

Stainless may be pretty, but, as the old cigarette ad said, it's what's
up front that counts. When I first starting crewing on a stock car, I
pulled off the trans cover, and found a long tear in the 1/4" thick
steel bellhousing, about eight inches long, where a chunk of something
had gone through it. That car had an engine in it which was worn out,
and probably wasn't capable of reaching its potential redline of 6800
rpm. I would say that a thin bit of stainless probably won't cut it when
the clutch and/or flywheel comes apart. If it's a big clutch and
flywheel, 1/4" plate would be the minimum.... (!)

Cheers.