CPS for mini

Tom Parker tparker at nznet.gen.nz
Tue Feb 9 10:12:33 GMT 1999

Michael D. Porter <mdporter at rt66.com> wrote:

>rpm. I would say that a thin bit of stainless probably won't cut it when
>the clutch and/or flywheel comes apart. If it's a big clutch and
>flywheel, 1/4" plate would be the minimum.... (!)

The standard Mini flywheel/clutch (its all one unit) is made of cast iron, is
about 10" diameter and weighs around 20lb. It's inside an alluminium housing,
and there is a fairly strong bulkhead between the driver and the engine.

I've seen the results of one that escaped during a race. It didn't explode,
the crank sheared off where it came out of the engine block. There wasn't much
left of that end of the engine. All the alloy housing was gone, but
surpisingly the flywheel didn't get out of the engine bay.

Aparently the flywheel itself is pritty strong but the pressure plate isn't.
The pressure plate goes first and takes the rest of the clutch with it.
Whatever goes first, it still makes a mess!

Bending 1/4" plate around the housing will be interesting. I'll see what I can
do when I have the engine out to replace the gearbox (doing that soonish).

Tom Parker - tparker at nznet.gen.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/