CPS for mini

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Tue Feb 9 17:29:36 GMT 1999

Tom Parker wrote:

> Michael D. Porter <mdporter at rt66.com> wrote:
>
> >rpm. I would say that a thin bit of stainless probably won't cut it when
> >the clutch and/or flywheel comes apart. If it's a big clutch and
> >flywheel, 1/4" plate would be the minimum.... (!)
>
> The standard Mini flywheel/clutch (its all one unit) is made of cast iron, is
> about 10" diameter and weighs around 20lb. It's inside an alluminium housing,
> and there is a fairly strong bulkhead between the driver and the engine.

I missed the first message, so, didn't realize you were referring to a
Mini--a bit different problem... one which is minimized a great deal
with a diaphragm clutch. The problem, as you say, is with clutch fingers
coming off--and then all other hell breaking loose. Here's another
possibility, which is much lighter--make one from Kevlar cloth. Easy to
mold around the clutch housing, and not too expensive if you can find a
source to buy it by the yard, then fold it up and sew it into a bag. Add
some eyelets through the bag and the Kevlar so you can tie it onto the
clutch housing.

Cheers.