CPS for mini

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Wed Feb 10 04:31:33 GMT 1999

Chris Conlon wrote:

> This is probably just myth but I had always heard that the pilot in
> a Huey was basically sitting inside a titanium bathtub.

Don't think it was a bit of good when the rockets came through the front
glass....

> 'Course I'm
> not sure how you'd get it down to the size and shape you'd need. Ah
> well.  What do more modern choppers have? Surely there's some kind
> of armor there, and just maybe some of it comes surplus??? :)
>
> OTOH the kevlar idea sounds so easy. Will that really work? How
> much difference is there between the kevlar cloth you can easily get
> (alongside glass cloth and the like, for making composite body
> panels) and the ballistic stuff?

Just guessing here, but I think it is dependent upon how dense the weave
and how many layers are compressed into the flak jacket cloth, and the
orientation of the weave. The ability of a slug to penetrate the jacket
would still be about what a fragment from a clutch would be, so the
general recommedation would be to have a number of layers, with the
orientation of the layers at 45 degrees to each other, and a very finely
woven material.

Cheers.