Toluene/Tollex

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 12 09:36:30 GMT 1999

If you can get me the UPAC nomenclature I can tell you exactly what the
difference is. UPAC=union of pure and applied chemists
Toluene for example is methyl benzene, geez, I hope I'm remembering that
right :)
Or a chemical formula, might help. toluene is C7H9  at least it will tell
me if there is any oxygens or nitrogens in it for example.  Problem is,
if it's significantly different it's octane rating will be different as
well.  Flat aromatics like benzene, toluene and phenols aren't the
greatest octane boosters.  They tend to be the culprits when we talk
about a 'gummed' up carb. or injectors.  Is there something about methyl
t-butylether (MTBE) that you don't like?
HTH
jw