PROM emulation

John Andrianakis John.Andrian at usa.net
Fri Feb 12 21:29:16 GMT 1999

Michael Kent wrote:

> I'm interested in trying out tuning the auto with an EPROM emulator.
> What levels of success have you guy's had? What systems did you use?
> I'd like to find something that I can use with a laptop, emulate a 27c256,
> and not cost to much. If it could do real-time changes all the better.
>
> This is the only inexpensive unit I could find. Don't know what to think
> about getting power from the target, seems like it would be pretty hard to
> start the car...
>
> http://www.ldti.com/hom.htm
>
> diy stuff:
>
> http://www.concentric.net/~Sanjaya/svt/smartROM.shtml
> http://www.personal.u-net.com/~paulandmark/electron/Computer/
>
> The second link also has some EPROM programmer designs.
>
> thanx,
>
> MK
I am using the 16 bit emulator from Racelogic U.K.(link in the diy_efi
links page). It works pretty well and can do real time changes- that is
with out turning the engine off. It costs a lot though, around £1800 for
the 16bit version. For 27c256 you dont need that so you can check if
they have any 8bit emulators left at a better price. Something else to
consider is the software that works with the emulator, standard
comercial software wont meke yout life easier with chip tuning.
Does anybody know if the software lets say from racelogic will work with
another emulator?
John Andrianakis.