accelerometer based dyno ideas

Jay Wallace jwallace at nist.gov
Fri Feb 12 22:39:19 GMT 1999

I've got a pair of AD ADXDL-05 accelerometers and have been looking
for a cheap 10 -12 bit 8 channel serial port or parallel port A/D
to make my own mini dyno / skidpad / engine monitor / data
acquisition system. I finally found a parallel port kit (#8418-KT)
at Marlin P. Jones and Associates (www.mpja.com) for $55.00. It
seemed neat beacuse it also comes with C, VB, QB and Win95
routines. When I called to ask about specifications, the (ahem)
gentleman on the phone said without any hesitation, rustling of
papers or click of keys that it could sample at 5k samples /sec.
Further conversation convinced me that he was making up values and
he couldn't come up with a spec sheet. He gave me the telephone
number of the manufacturer in Hong Kong but I think that I'll pass
on the phone call. Does anybody have experience with this unit or
know of a (cheap) replacement?

TIA,
Jay