4 cyl engine advice needed

Stowe, Ted-SEA StowT at PerkinsCoie.com
Wed Feb 17 23:10:40 GMT 1999

this should start a nice long thread.

I need some advice on the possibility of doing an engine swap in my 77 mgb.
here is the scoop. new stock, these critters put out a huge 65 bhp with
something just under
1800cc. big cast iron block and head, with awful simesed intake/exhaust
ports.

with a better distributor, a downdraft Weber and the usual, mine is probably
a little healthier.
and when I finish my efi project, it'll get better yet.

however it has occurred to me that a later model 4cyl might be a real idea,
(and I might get a better efi in the bargain).

lots of people seem to be happy with putting in the 215 cu alum. rover v8,
or the '63 Buick v8.
and while I think everyone should have a v8 on an engine stand in their
garage, and I feel guilty not having one, I am not sure I can justify the
expense of putting a v8 in the mgb, (new rear, new trans, some fairly hard
to find parts and lots of time.

so I am trying to think of hot 4cyl engine/5 speed trans combos. I have
heard a lot about
the turbo fuego engine in the Renaults. who does better than a cast iron 65
bhp engine and 4 speed trans ? , I thought about a BMW 320i engine/trans.

any ideas ??

thanks, Ted Stowe