4 cyl engine advice needed

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Feb 18 00:01:02 GMT 1999

> lots of people seem to be happy with putting in the 215 cu alum. rover v8,
> or the '63 Buick v8.

Heavy, heavy, heavy.

While Clive suggested is very good.  Toyota with a RWD
Corolla transmission should work just fine, and of course,
they bolt together easily enough without any bizarre fangles
for engine/tranny adaptors.

The first thing that popped into my mind was the Turbo 4 cyl
from Ford, used in their thunderbirds of the mid to late
80's, they ran VERY well, and quite a few of them were
manual trans (5-speed), drag the whole thing over with the
computer and you will have a road terror based on the
fantastic power to weight ratio.  I haven't seen one in a
while, but I don't recall the Ford turbo motor being
anywhere near close to the hood of the T-bird, therefore it
might very well fit into your MG.

Though, there is nothing stopping you from attaching a turbo
to a Toyota engine if you prefer to go that route.  Just use
chromoly rings in your engine, and you should be fine if you
keep the compression under 9:1.

> expense of putting a v8 in the mgb, (new rear, new trans, some fairly hard
> to find parts and lots of time.

Another option, if you are concerned about the MGB not
holding up to the additional torque of a V8, is to make from
scratch a basic ladder frame - if my memory serves me the MG
is not a unibody, but correct me if I'm wrong.  While
building a frame from scratch is fairly inexpensive (so I'm
finding), its extremely time consuming if you do it
yourself.  I estimate I will have close to 200 hours on my
chassis when I'm done, but that includes a roll cage, rear
bulkhead, front bulkhead, all nice and triangulated.

> the turbo fuego engine in the Renaults. who does better than a cast iron 65
> bhp engine and 4 speed trans ? , I thought about a BMW 320i engine/trans.

Stay away from the BMW 2002 engine... they are terrible
IMHO.  However, any of the late model engines should be
fine, since all the BMW's are RWD, makes the conversion
easier.

I still like Clive's Toyota idea, probably will fit the
easiest and certainly doable - as how many corolla's are
there in a junkyard... the tranny portion of it would be
cheap.

--
Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

http://www.xephic.dynip.com
1993 Superchaged Lincoln Continental
1989 500cid Turbocharged HWMMV
1975 Dodge D200 Club Cab (soon to be twin turbo 440)
2000 Buick GTP (twin turbo V6)