PWM fuel pump

Jeffrey T. Birt ditto at ipa.net
Thu Feb 18 01:56:01 GMT 1999

Hi all,

    I'm new on this list so this is the first post that I have seen on the subject
of controlling pressure via PWM of the pump.  It seems that trying to control a
pump this way would cause premature failure of the pump.  Generally starting a
pump (of any type) is much harder on it than continuos operation.  PWM would stop
the pump and then restart it under load.  It would be much harder on the pump to
start it with 30 lb or so of pressure
against it.

    Next, picture this scenario.  Your tooling along @ 20 mph and your pump is
developing (x) lbs. of pressure.  You then mash the accelerator down and the ECU
determines that you now need (x+y) lbs.  Currently the fuel system is only @ (x)
lbs., when you accelerate you are effectively lowering the restriction that your
pump is developing pressure against.  The duty cycle of you injector(s) go up.
More fuel in the same time period equals less restriction.  The pump has to
compensate for the sudden loss of pressure (x) and try to build up even more
pressure (x+y).  This situation will lead to a lag in fuel pressure on sudden
acceleration.

    How about making an electronically controlled pressure regulator.  For
instance the pressure regulator on my Suzuki is controlled via manifold pressure.
It seems that one could fabricate an adjustable air bleed which would affect fuel
pressure.

    IMHO.  YMMV.

Jeff Birt