4 cyl engine advice needed

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Thu Feb 18 02:31:15 GMT 1999

In a message dated 2/17/99 7:04:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com writes:

> > lots of people seem to be happy with putting in the 215 cu alum. rover v8,
>  > or the '63 Buick v8.
>
>  Heavy, heavy, heavy.

Actually, I believe the alum. V8 is LIGHTER than the original B series 4cyl.
and DEFINITELY lighter than a Ford 2.3!

>  Another option, if you are concerned about the MGB not
>  holding up to the additional torque of a V8, is to make from
>  scratch a basic ladder frame - if my memory serves me the MG
>  is not a unibody, but correct me if I'm wrong

MGBs are unibody.

You know, you can do a lot with those series B 4cyl engines.  Vizard has a
good and extensive book on modifying the A series motor.  The B series (which
is what you've got) is just a larger version of the same thing.  100hp is easy
enough to get out of a 1275cc A series, so I'd imagine you could get close to
140 from your engine.  And you don't have to spend a lot of money.  The key is
a lot of work on your cylinder head (the information on how to do it is
already out there.  You don't have to reinvent the wheel.)  And a VERY HIGH
compression ratio.  Like 12 to 1.  No problem on 91 oct.  Stock CR is, I
think,  7.5 for a rubber bumper car like yours, which is pitiful considering
how much this engine can take, even with street gas.
I think the saying goes "if you can't get the air in there, then squeeze the
hell out of what you got!"

Ted