modifying fuel rail

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Thu Feb 18 08:06:54 GMT 1999

In a message dated 2/17/99 10:43:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us writes:

<<  have a steel Bosch regulator bung I need to attach to a steel GM fuel
 rail.  The rail OD is .750; I made a side cut into the bung with a 3/4"
 end mill, so the bung fits the curve of the rail very tightly.

  I have some 1/16" prefluxed brazing rods and some silver solder.  Which
 method would be most appropriate for attaching the regulator bung to the
 rail? >>
Since the strength of the materials is not a problem with either method, I
would go with silver brazing as long as the fit is in the .004 or less range.
It will distort less as the heat is lower. Silver just requires a tighter
fitup as it will not fill gaps as readily as bronze. It is the prefered method
when doing aircraft quality fittings and hard lines. They just have the
advantage of having induction brazing heads instead of torches.
Fred