multimeter advice

Howard, Randolph E Randolph.Howard at PSS.Boeing.com
Thu Feb 18 21:51:10 GMT 1999

I checked out the net site at Techamerica.  Thanks for the lead on a good/cheap meter.  Now I am wondering what I really need.  I am just looking into this EFI thing and am not sure what an adequate diagnostic tool (meter) should provide.  The Autoranging Digital Storage Oscilloscope seems like a killer deal at $199, but do I need it?  At the other end is the Budget DMM Model D-904 which seems fairly full featured but does not say anything about frequency measurement.  It is only $29 and has a rugged rubber case.  The best alternative seems to be the Model M-3640D as it has all of the budget model's features (except the rubber case), plus frequency reading, plus memory.  What do you more experienced folks think?