4 cyl engine advice needed

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Fri Feb 19 01:21:09 GMT 1999

AL8001 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 99-02-17 20:39:52 EST, jimyeagley at stratos.net writes:
>
> > I would rather agree with Frederick about the Ford
> >Turbo-4.  Not only many T-Birds, but Mustangs and SVO Mustangs, too.
>
> Don't forget the Merkur XR4Ti.  It uses the Turbo 2300 Ford engine as well.
> I'm pretty sure the 5 sp trans is a German type not used in other USA Ford
> cars.
>
> I've seen a 2.8 carbed Camaro/Citation V6 in a MGB, nice fit.  One of the
> exhaust mainfolds was fliped so the pipe headed towards the front.
>
> It's easy to get carried away with fabed frames/ turbos/ superchargers.  I
> think the original posters intent was for a reliable, peppy engine.  My
> suggestions:
>
> Ford 2300 and 5 sp from a Mustang or Ranger pickup.
> Ford 2300 Turbo T Bird, Mustang, Merkur XR4Ti
>
> Chrysler/Mitsubishi 2.6 4 Cyl carbed Rear drive mini pickup.  These engines
> have super torque.
> Chrysler/Mitsubishi 2.6 Turbo EFI Conquest/Starion ( Not a great choice due to
> high cost of electronic parts)
>
> The Toyota Corolla 4 other people suggested.
>
> Harold
Trust me, you do NOT want the 2.6 Mitsu. It is a pig from the word go -
severe timing chain/balance shaft problems, along with oil consumption
problems. Yes, the problems can be solved - with a fair bit of work- but
I always felt I couldn't trust the darn thing even AFTER I got it right.
My '85 New Yorker had so many things wrong with it that complicated the
rebuild beyond belief. I got 4 years out of it after the rebuild - sold
it when the car fell apart around it and it is still going - but it is
sure not the engine the Toy, or even the Ford is.