4 cyl engine advice needed (4A-GE)

Steve N. sgn1 at ra.msstate.edu
Fri Feb 19 04:58:10 GMT 1999

Don't know much about the others but know know a little about the Toyota
4A-GE.  You can usually get an engine harness and computer for $500 or
so if you shop around, maybe a little more for a real low mileage one.
The 87+ 4A-GEs have the engine block from the 4A-GZE which is a much
stronger block that will take up to 220+ HP in stock form.  You might be
able to snag a US spec 4A-GZE for $1000.  The best way to do it is get a
wrecked or worn out car.  If you catch the right people at the right
time you can get old Mr2s and Corolla for dirt cheap.  $2-3000 headwork
etc., can get you close to the 200 HP level, and you can scream to 8500+
reliable rpms.

4A-GE general info:
http://www2.msstate.edu/~sgn1/MR2/4age.htm

More 4A-GE detailed info:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1043/4ageengineTABLE.htm

How to build a somewhat streetable 220 HP 4A-GE plus more good Toyota
engine stuff:
http://www.onthenet.com.au/~billzila/carindex.htm

Remember, there were many potential engines for the picking when the
Atlantic series was looking for a new engine and they went with the
4A-GE, however mostly I think was because the blocks could make the
needed HP in close to stock form.  The Iron block is good and bad.  It
lets you get that 240 stock, but the 4A-GE weighs in at 340 lbs.  As for
the Hondas, I hear they are good too, and are a tad lighter but might
not be able to handle too many mods in stock form.  It all depends how
much you want to mod the engine after you get it, or if you want to have
a hot engine stock out of the box.  I for one would not want a heavy
ford or buick engine in a small kit car if I were to buy one.

There seem to be many engine experts will many different backgounds on
this list.  I would love to make a database of engine and tranny
weights.  Please let us, or either just me know what you guys know!  I
don't know how quickly the rest of the list will tire of this non-diyefi
thread, but it seems to me that this list while the majority of diyefi,
is also 40% turbo and engine related, and most seem to like this.

Steve N.
AW11 Archive: http://www2.msstate.edu/~sgn1/MR2/mkimr2.htm