multimeter advice needed

R. W. Hughes rwhughe at ev1.net
Fri Feb 19 15:56:45 GMT 1999

> > > It would be ideal if it could measure current by an inductive pick-up.
> > > Don't know if all this is possible at a reasonable price, I may be asking
> > > too much.
> >
> > Tenma makes a hall-effect clamp-on that puts out 1mv per amp ac or dc
> > with pretty good frequency reponse. I think it is 1000amps full scale
> > and minimum resolution will be in the .1 to 1 amp range. Look for a
> > meter with 200mv range if you want to use one of these.
>
> Will this work with any meter?  Does it need batteries or something?

Tenma 72-6174 AC/DC Current clamp
Input:600A max
Output:1mV/A
Max Working Voltage:480VAC/600VDC
uses one 9V battery, has power on and batttery low leds, output cable is
about 6 foot(stretched) curly cord with two banana plugs which match
most digital multimeters. Also has a zero adjustment which must be
adjusted to remove effect of external fields. Puts out dc voltage for dc
current, ac voltage for ac current, and biased ac for ac ripple on a dc
current, of course. Works quite well except now you have two little
boxes to carry around but the remote display is often an advantage.
--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering
rwhughe at ev1.net