Bosh Spark Plugs (Barelyl on topic I guess)

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Sat Feb 20 01:18:13 GMT 1999

Orin Eman wrote

> As for the Bosch platinums, the original single electrode
> platinums are junk - turbo motors eat the center electrode
> very quickly.  Unless the center electrode is a lot bigger on
> the new quad plugs, I'd stay well away.
>
> Orin.

I agree they are junk - but for different reasons than you. I have seen
too many fail with a compression seal failure. The "fine wire" center
electrode, being platinum, wears a LONG time, and being a "sharp point"
it fires much more easily than some other plugs. That said, I have had a
lot better luck with NipponDenso platinums - also small electrode type,
and even NGK, which in my estimation (and experience) is only slightly
better than the Bosch. Unless they have changed dramatically in the last
couple of years the nippers are still my first choice in any import
engine - particularly Japanese, and more particularly Toyota.

Taking all this for what it's worth, I do not replace the plugs on my
3.0 liter Ford "aeroscare" with platinums, regardless how difficult they
tend to be to replace, because I'd rather change them every year or two
than find them seized in after 4 when they finally require changing.