4 cyl engine advice needed

Justin Guest jguest at clara.net
Sat Feb 20 12:05:56 GMT 1999

>In a message dated 2/17/99 7:04:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com writes:
>
>>>  SNIP
>>  SNIP
>  SNIP
>>  SNIP
>
>MGBs are unibody.
>
>You know, you can do a lot with those series B 4cyl engines.  Vizard has a
>good and extensive book on modifying the A series motor.  The B series (which
>is what you've got) is just a larger version of the same thing.  100hp is
>easy

Does the B-Series not have a cross flow type head on it?

>enough to get out of a 1275cc A series, so I'd imagine you could get close to
>140 from your engine.  And you don't have to spend a lot of money.  The
>key is
>a lot of work on your cylinder head (the information on how to do it is
>already out there.  You don't have to reinvent the wheel.)  And a VERY HIGH
>compression ratio.  Like 12 to 1.  No problem on 91 oct.  Stock CR is, I

Excuse my ignorance but I thought you could only run those sort of CRs
with AVGAS or other such fuels. Is 10:1 about the best you can do on 91
oct? Or is them some other means of preventing detonation at high CRs.
Apart from backing off the ignition (bad for power output?)

>think,  7.5 for a rubber bumper car like yours, which is pitiful considering
>how much this engine can take, even with street gas.
>I think the saying goes "if you can't get the air in there, then squeeze the
>hell out of what you got!"
>
>Ted

Regards Justin