440 cams and efi

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Feb 21 20:41:08 GMT 1999

>On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 Maxt at nucleus.com wrote:
>
>> I read the posts on the 440 efi, and the cam questions, Hughes engines
>> makes chrysler specific cams for the 440 which take advantage of the
>> 440's larger lifter area. The larger lifter allows you to install a cam
>> with larger lift, less duration and overlap, retaining vacuum and idle
>> quality . Most cams are chevy grinds altered for other engines, and are
>> not particularly suited to chryslers and will make the engine
>> underachieve.
>
>The reverse does not seem to be the same, though. The old mopar 284
>degree, AKA, purple shaft, hemi grind, etc etc profile works well in SBCs,
>based on a hundred or so examples.

Maybe, but that would not be true if this cam had had sharp enough
lift/duration numbers to get the corners of the Chubby lifters onto the
flanks of the lobes!! Larger diameter flat tappets DO allow quicker
acceleration rates--that's why mushroom lifters are advantageous.

This is also true of a larger diameter base circle--as evidenced by the
fact that Cummins went to the so-called "Big Cam" design in its later
855's.--bigger cam bearings will let bigger lobes through.

Regards, Greg