440 cams and efi

Bill Edgeworth bedgew at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 21 22:30:08 GMT 1999

Greg Hermann wrote:

> Maybe, but that would not be true if this cam had had sharp enough
> lift/duration numbers to get the corners of the Chubby lifters onto the
> flanks of the lobes!! Larger diameter flat tappets DO allow quicker
> acceleration rates--that's why mushroom lifters are advantageous.
>
> This is also true of a larger diameter base circle--as evidenced by the
> fact that Cummins went to the so-called "Big Cam" design in its later
> 855's.--bigger cam bearings will let bigger lobes through.
>
> Regards, Greg

I absolutly agree, another intersting fact is Roller lifters for Mopars
recently became avalable with rollers larger than used in the past ( the same
rollers were being used by the manufacturers for Cebbys and Mopars ) I assume
these were developed for extreamly radical roller cams such as those found in
pro stock engines to allow an even faster rate of lift.

Regards,

Bill Edgeworth