Plasma Jet Ignition

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Tue Feb 23 04:47:34 GMT 1999

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Gary Derian wrote:

> I do remember that article.  I believe it was Hot Rod.  The engine was a
> nail head Buick.

I remember it too...funny how you can remember things like this but not
the wifes birthday ;=>

  The anti-foulers like things were welded in to provide
> cooling water around them.  All the sparkplugs were connected together in a
> single circuit with a capacitor at each one.  There was some kind of spark
> generator to create a high frequency spark.

This thing was on the cover, the engine was in a rod. I remember the
single, boxlike spark "unit" but not the caps at each plug.

  The inventor had all sorts of
> claims for better performance and economy.  I have never heard of such a
> system since.

HotDog said it was wunnerful, so it probably didnt even work...but IIRC,
the claim was that it was self timing, the plugs fired continuously and
the restriction into the plug chamber delayed the admission of a burnable
mixture into the proximity of the plug until the proper time. Thus, IIRC,
a cap would be uneeded.