Plasma Jet Ignition

Van Setten, Tim (AZ75) Tim.Van.Setten at CAS.honeywell.com
Wed Feb 24 14:38:24 GMT 1999

> ----------
	<snip>
> How efficient can we make the circuit that charges the capaciter?  Even
> if it's VERY efficient, it's going to suck down a significent fraction of
> the output of a typical alternater.  Of course, it'll only do that at
> high RPMs.
>
> I think it would be best to design it so that each cylinder has its own
> capaciter, charger, etc.  I wouldn't try to feed all of this energy
> through the dizzy gap.
>
> Lesee... we'll assume that we're going to charge the cap to 200 V.  E =
> .5 * C * V^2 (if I remember correctly <:-)  )  That gives use a
> capacitence of 50 microfarads.  A flash capaciter ought to do the trick.

Just to confuse you a little more here, awhile back we re-engineered the
MSD-6A and to generate each spark they used a fly-back configuration.  There
are a bunch of sparks depending on the "Timing Window", but to generate one
spark, it takes 700us at 45 Amps at 14 Volts on the input to generate 550
Volts to dump into a 1uF cap.  Then it takes 300 us to dump all the energy
from the cap into the ignition coil.  Hence, one spark every 1 ms.  If you
need more info, let me know.....Tim.