OBD II guys

Michael Kasimirsky mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 26 13:08:53 GMT 1999

> > As for data recording, I know a GM air bag module will
> record up to 6 crash
> > events in memory to prove the air bag did deploy.  A mid
> 90's BMW ( 7 series ?
> > ) will record a engine over rev, even though the ECM has a
> fuel cutoff
> > revlimiter.

The current GM computer in the Olds Aurora records several
items that could be considered abuse.  For example, if you shift
into gear, from neutral, with the throttle open (i.e. neutral drop
the car), it logs a code.  If you look in the factory Service Manual,
all these codes are explicitly defined.  There's probably 20 different
codes for driver abuse of one form or another.

I'm guessing that somewhere there's a 16-year-old kid who's gotten
himself in a pile of trouble for beating the old man's Aurora, after dad
had the car in for service and the dealer informed him of junior's
antics
with his $30,000 ride.  :-)

Michael Kasimirsky            1990 Yamaha FZR400 Superbike Racer
Loki Motorsports              1993 Kawasaki ZX1100D1 Streetbike Rider
FASTTRAX & WERA Expert #21  Sponsored by Loki Motorsports, Bridgestone,
mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu        Street & Competition, and AGV.